415 - Ferric Chloride
A ready-to-use solution designed for etching printed circuit boards and other metals.
Applications and Uses
- Etching copper, brass, bronze, Damascus steel, stainless steel
- PCB fabrication
- Jewelry making
- Decorate art knives and other metalwork
- Steel sign acid etching
- Etching pattern welds
- Etching on stone surfaces
- Colorant in pit-firing some pottery
- Glass casting
Note: Do not dilute this product with water.
Ferric Chloride FAQs
Q. How do I dispose of ferric chloride solution?
A. There are two ways to do this:
- Contact your local hazardous waste disposal company
- The solution must not be put down the drain because of residual copper ions left in it. To make it safe for disposal, you can add sodium carbonate (washing soda) or sodium hydroxide to neutralize it, until the pH value goes up to between 7.0 and 8.0, testing it with indicator paper. Copper will be deposited as a sludge. Allow the sludge to settle, pour off the liquid, further dilute it with water and pour it down the drain. Collect the sludge in plastic bags and dispose of it as required by your local waste authority.
Q. The container of ferric chloride is not enough to fill my etching tank. Should I dilute it with water?
A. Do NOT dilute ferric chloride with water. You need enough ferric chloride to completely cover your board. You may require up to 5 liters with the Economy Etching Kit and up to 7 liters with the Professional Etching Kit.
Directions For Use
Immerse copper board in solution and agitate until etching action is completed. The etching process can be speeded up by heating the solution to a temperature no higher than 55 °C (135 °F). If you require further directions for etching or for making a printed circuit board, consult the positive photofabrication process guide available free from your dealer.
Features and Benefits
- Ready to use
- 38% FeCl3 concentration
- Photoengraving grade: 42° Baume
- Etches copper, brass, bronze, and steel
- More aggressive than persulfate alternatives
- Can be stored and reused
|Catalog Number||Sizes Available||Description|
|415-500ML||475 mL (1 pt)||Bottle|
|415-1L||945 mL (1.99 pt)||Bottle|
|415-4L||4 L (1.06 gal)||Bottle|
|415-20L||20 L (5.3 gal)||Pail|